Thursday, May 8, 2014

Motivational May Spotlight - Day 8 | My #RunningBro, Kirk Buckley

As I continue my journey to reveal the most influential and inspirational people, events or other in my running career.  While there are hundreds and hundreds of people who have been a part of my running career and I am very grateful for the role they are in my life, I will be share with you the most inspirational.

Some you will know, some will be no surprise, but others may be.  I promised these posts will be raw, truthful and sometimes emotional.  Maybe in these posts you will find your own inspirational or feel compelled to thank those around you.

________________

Today's Spotlight will not come as a shock to anyone.  In fact, over the past week, I have received a few messages asking why I have not spotlighted this person (yet).   My Spotlight list was decided in April and in what order. Trust me, those who need to be included are.  :)

My #RunningBro, Kirk Buckley.  We met almost 2 years ago, after meeting on FB through his former wife.  In fact, he was one of the first runners I went to when I was developing the business plan for Running Troops.  

So, to lay the chatter to rest, he is not my biological nor legal brother, but he IS my BROTHER in every sense of the word and action.

During one of the darkest, if not the darkest time in my running career this past Fall with two friends betraying my friendship and then my injury, he stepped up to help.  He didn't just say he would help, he did.  While I was promised by many who would help my son train for his first Half Marathon, he did without any excuses or complaints.  Driving over an hour round trip to my home to train my son for his upcoming first Half Marathon, for running miles and miles with me post-injury to check my form and keep my head in the game.  He is wonderful source of friendship to my husband as they share their love of movies and archery.  They are affectionately nicknamed, "The Beanie Brothers" because they would both wear beanies while running.

My son's first half marathon would not of happened without Kirk.  He helped sneak my husband to the race, so my husband could surprise the kiddo at the Finish Line. The night before the Half, Kirk ran a very hard Half Marathon, had less than 4 hours of sleep, drove over an hour the next morning and then ran with my son for another Half Marathon.  

Kirk, thank you for the immeasurable sacrifices you have given my family.  You are a great carpool buddy to our traveling races and more than you can imagine and you have kept my mind in the race.  Through all the times I wanted to just quit and not keep trying, you have reminded me of my goals, my purpose and why I love running.

I am proud to say you are my Friend and you are my Brother.  

 

  

(c) C. Ragsdale 2010-13
___________________
Run F.A.B. & Boston Strong,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
*Sponsored by
RobKellerMD.com, KT Tape and Island Boost
*Team Super Hero Master's Elite 2013-14
*Founder, Running Troops
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter
~Blog Disclaimer - Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.