Monday, May 5, 2014

Motivational May Spotlight - Day 5 | My youngest son


As I continue my journey to reveal the most influential and inspirational people, events or other in my running career.  While there are hundreds and hundreds of people who have been a part of my running career and I am very grateful for the role they are in my life, I will be share with you the most inspirational.

Some you will know, some will be no surprise, but others may be.  I promised these posts will be raw, truthful and sometimes emotional.  Maybe in these posts you will find your own inspirational or feel compelled to thank those around you.
 


Click here for previous Spotlights 

________

On a warm Las Vegas afternoon on May 5, 201 (3 years ago, today), my family and I went to a local park.  2 months prior to that, I had begun working out and eating healthy.  At that time, I was 48 years old and I wanted to enjoy life again.

As we became to walk on the jogging path, my then 10 year old son asked me to follow him in running.  I lasted a 1/2 mile.  I wasn't obese, but I certainly was out of shape.  I will never forget the look of embarrasment on his face, as his own mother could not keep up with him.

He didn't know my history. He didn't know that I was once a champion sprinter in school, but even then, I could not run a mile.  At 48 years old I was faced the reality, that I still could not run a mile.  That was going to change.

At that moment, I vowed to run my first mile.  I vowed I would make that one lap around that park in triumph.

Shortly after that day, I ran my first mile. It wasn't easy, I was hurting in every part of my body.  A month later I ran my first ever 3 miles.  After finishing my 3 miles, my husband joked with me and said, "why don't you run a marathon?"  I said, "I can't do that! But, I will run a Half marathon!"

That night, I looked online and found the Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas Half.  For the next 6 months I trained every night.  Laps around parks, sweating until I was leaving a trail behind me (this was during the Las Vegas summer heat).

After my injury in 2013, my son was my constant running body guard and protector.  He ran with me as I slowly developed strength in my legs. 

Over 3 years after I ran my first Half Marathon, I stood at the finish line watching my son finish his first Half Marathon.  

If it has not been for this kid, I wouldn't be running or racing.

Kiddos first Half Marathon Finish - 2014




(c) C. Ragsdale 2010-13
___________________
Run F.A.B. & Boston Strong,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
*Sponsored by
RobKellerMD.com, KT Tape and Island Boost
*Team Super Hero Master's Elite 2013-14
*Founder, Running Troops
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter
~Blog Disclaimer - Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.