Monday, March 3, 2014

My Experience with Desert Dash | The Rumors are False

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius


It is rare I address rumors and allegations, if ever.  This blog is an exception to the rule because it cuts deep to those I love.

During this past Saturday, I ran a double 5k with Desert Dash at their annual Blood, Sweat and Beers at Bootleg Canyon, near Boulder City, NV.  (BTW, they have no idea I am writing this blog)



I ran a 5k in the AM and returned to run the same course and same distance.  After the race, I posted several photos on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and noted that the night time race scared me to death.

Beginning on Sunday, I started to receive very odd FB inbox messages.  This continued into Monday.  People who I barely know, wanting to know why I was scared of the nighttime.

I indicated that the course was pitch black and very technical.  That scared me, nothing more. 

Somewhere along the way, people started a rumor mill that I was implying my safety was at risk, because of the Race Directors at Desert Dash. I started to receive more inbox messages from other people. 

That couldn't be farther from the truth and please let it stop right here.

For those who do not know and many do not.  Please allow me to share with you who the Desert Dash family is to me.

They are owned and operated by Rob Erekson, Ryan Erekson and Scott Gibson.  Brothers of a close knit family.  Their beautiful wives, Mary Erekson, Taylor Eerkson, Stacie Gibson and their parents Phil & Teri Erekson are all family to me.   We have known each other for several years.  We have been through sickness, health, birth and even death of a loved one.   I could never convey how much this family means to me and how thrilled I was for them when they purchased Desert Dash a year ago. 

Unfortunately, and might my fault - others felt my comment about being scared was a accusation of lack of safety towards the RD's.

Never once have I felt unsafe at any of their courses.  I have seen this family meticulously go through courses, maps, elevations and points along the course to ensure every racer is safe and enjoys the experience. I have watched them greet every racer at the finish to make sure they are okay and any sign of trouble - a sweeper is on the course.

To say I would trust each member of this family with my life (and I have in 2011) is an understatement.  There are not many people in this world I trust with myself & my family and they are certainly are one of them.

For those who believe that I felt unsafe at their race.  Rest assured, that is false. I never implied it nor did I ever say it.  Bootleg Canyon is one of the most technical races in Nevada if not the country.  It is not easy, for any level of runner. 

Desert Dash is a premier trail race company.  I will be back, and there has never been a question about it.  They will treat you like family.  I hope to see you there, I promise that you are safe under their direction.

This is my post race picture after the nighttime race.  I look pretty happy, don't you think?  :)



Hope this clears up and confusion. 

(c) C. Ragsdale 2010-13
___________________
Run F.A.B. & Boston Strong,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
*Sponsored by
RobKellerMD.com, KT Tape and Island Boost
*Team Super Hero Master's Elite 2013-14
*Founder, Running Troops
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter
~Blog Disclaimer - Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.