Thursday, October 24, 2013

Tale of 2 Pairs of Shoes

I began wearing Brooks T7's in 2011.  Other than a few months of switching to another brand and style (I was told I could not run Marathon's in the T7's - they lied), I have been dedicated to my shoes.  They are light and keep my feet happy.

In a few days, my family and I will be traveling to Disneyland to celebrate Halloween.  It was time for me to break out my training running shoes to get ready for the trip.  Doctors orders state I have to wear cushioned insoles and take frequent walk breaks.

When I looked at the shoe, something struck me as odd. Do you see it?  Compare the right and left shoe. The left shoe seemed to be more brownish than my right. 

I threw them into the wash (yes, I have washed my shoes for years, they are fine - as long as you don't put them in the dryer.  Only air dry).

Once washed, I pulled them out and the left still more brown than the right.

I was quite puzzled, how one shoe could be dirtier than the other....

And then, I begin thinking...I walked to my closet and opened up a shoe box.  It was my older pair of T7's that I will still use for easy runs.  The obvious was right in from of me.

I had mixed up my new and old pair of shoes.

Old pair:  400+ miles
New pair:  less than 100 miles

I had been training in:

Left shoe:  400 miles
Right shoe:  100 miles


I was running on a pair of very mismatched shows at Disneyland until the injury.  I remember feeling my stride was off at the Disneyland Half, but I felt my migraines and body aches were causing it, not my shoes!

I could not believe what I was seeing.  Never in over 2 years had I mixed my new and old shoes. 

I remember my Dr asking me if I had been running on old shoes, when he was assessing my injury.  Well, the answer is yes and no.  Yet, the difference in the two shoes is quite evident, when I look at it closely.

This is how my shoes should look, paired up (see the difference?)




After the discovery, I was in a state of shock.  If I had spent 12 hours walking Disneyland for 2 days around in mismatched shoes, I could of caused further damage to my leg. 

The mistakes we make are the lessons and blessings we must accept. I cannot change my mistake of mixing up my shoes (and racing on them), but I can make sure it doesn't happen again.

In the future - my newer pair (my training & racing pair) will have a ladybug bead charm on the laces.  

What mistakes have you made that you swore to never repeat?


(c) C. Ragsdale 2010-13
___________________
Run F.A.B. & Boston Strong,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
*Sponsored by
RobKellerMD.com, KT Tape and Island Boost
*Team Super Hero Master's Elite 2013-14
*Founder, Running Troops
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter
~Blog Disclaimer - Click Here

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I'll be adding this to my 'you have to be aware of your running shoes and how they speak to your body" speech at the running store!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.