Monday, September 30, 2013

UPDATE: Dealing With Ongoing Leg Injury

Hello FAB-O Friends!

Where has September gone?  So much has happened in the past 30 days, hasn't it?  I haven't forgotten to write a Race Report about the Inaugural Running Troops event.  Coming soon!

For now, I wanted to give you an update on my training.  Well, my training is at a stand still.  Almost 2 weeks ago, I injured myself on an trampoline.

Here is the timeline -

Went to Sky Zone with my family one evening - jumped around for 30 minutes, got bored and stopped.  No pain, no aches, nothing.

  • The next morning, my right calf muscle and ITB were overly sore.  Evening, I ran 3 miles with my husband, then planned to run another 3 by myself.  On that last 3, I turned right and sheering pain went up my leg, but as soon as I was running straight, I was fine.  Decided to run another 3 to "shake it off" with my youngest son.  At 1.5 into his 3 mile run, I was hobbling.

  • The next day, not feeling so good, but felt a day of rest would do the trick.

  • The following day after that, I was scheduled to run a 13.1 with Angela, so she/we could earn our Trooper Virtual Medal.  Less than a mile from her home, my knee/calf gave out from underneath me and I almost went down.  We walked the rest of the way.

  • Went to Chiro on Monday, I knew he would need to do some Graston and ART.  Did a 1 mile test run on the next day and that was the last day I ran.  I have had days were I got so bad, I finally had to buy a walking cane, so I wouldn't fall over, when I am walking.

Since then, I have had 4 treatments of horribly painful Graston and ART.  I have so many bruises on my lower leg and ITB, it looks like a little person beat me up with a bat.

This past weekend, I rode the stationary bike (fast pedaling) and did modified DDPYOGA.  It felt wonderful to get the blood pumping and will be a critical part of my treatment plan, going forward.


Today - was the first significant sign of improvements.   Our goal is to get me to a slow jog by the weekend.  If that can go well, I will plan to be involved with Long Beach Half Marathon, so I can earn the Beach Cities with Angela.  At this point, it would be illogical for me to even think I can run LB, but I am willing to walk it, if the Dr allows me to.

The last 1 1/2 weeks has been miserable, to put it bluntly.   Anxiety, sadness and feeling like a lazy slug.    There are times I wished my leg was broken, so I could get a boot and I could just stay off of it for 4 weeks.  With this deep soleus muscle strain, the prognosis is anywhere between 2 weeks to even months, for 100% healing.  

I am grateful for the wonderful care of Dr. Nick Savatgy at Canyon Lake Neck & Back.  Without his expertise, I would be in so much worse shape, than I am right now.

Onward! Healing will come, no doubt in my mind.  



c) C. Ragsdale 2010-13
___________________
Run F.A.B. & Boston Strong,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
*Sponsored by
RobKellerMD.com, KT Tape and Island Boost
*Team Super Hero Master's Elite 2013-14
*Founder, Running Troops
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter
~Blog Disclaimer - Click Here

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your injury. I had a slight calf strain last month and it was pretty painful. I lost about two weeks of training but, fortunately it was not a severe stain. I hope you heal quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dolly, thank you for your concern. I believe the trampoline was the final blow to my leg, after my SFM knee plant and this is the result. The placement of the pain is all too familiar, but progress - no matter how small is a good thing. We had hoped I would be up and running in two weeks, but that's not even on our radar. Healing will happen, I know it will. Thank you again for your kind words.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.