Wednesday, September 4, 2013

RACE REPORT Part 1 - Disneyland Half Marathon | Tweet & Meetup

(If you have not noticed - my blog background image is of me and my DL Half medal from 2012.   I am not ashamed to say I am in love with DL - on and off the race course! )

Family and I departed for Anaheim as soon as my husband got home from work on Thursday night. 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 dogs. I often feel like the Beverly Hillbillies when we travel  lol

Arriving late to the hotel, I quickly unpacked and went to bed.  

I had a 4am wake-up call for a VERY important date!

Photo Credit:  http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net


I awoke up at 4am and got ready in my running gear sans the visor. But, wait! It wasn't racing day...where was I going? I was one of the fortunate runners selected to be at this years Disneyland Half Marathon Meetup with Jeff Galloway and others. To say I was excited and nervous, was an understatement! I knew I was within a short period of time I would be running through MY Happiest Place on Earth, before the park opened.



I arrived at the Sorcerer's Hat at 5:15am, I thought was early. Wrong! Half the group was already there. You could feel the excitement and energy. We were given our goodie bag and runDisney shirt to wear that morning. After changing, I made my way back to crowd and met up with Jeff Galloway and we chatted about out Disneyland memories. I shared with him how I saw Small World being built and every visit, that is my first ride. How I use to drive straight from Seattle and sleep in my car, just so I could afford to spend a day in the park. Disneyland was my sacred place, no matter how many countries or cities I visit, Disneyland is my favorite.

As a group, we were led a few steps away to be greeted by the New Balance reps and a special visitor
Photo Credit: Jimmy DeFlippo, photographer
Photo Credit: Jimmy DeFlippo, photographer
We were separated into 2 groups. Running-only and Galloway method. I chose to run the running-only with last years women's Half Marathon winner, Cindy Lynch.

And away we go! (as Peter Pan would say)

Photo Credit: Jimmy DeFlippo, photographer
Photo Credit: Jimmy DeFlippo, photographer
Photo Credit: Jimmy DeFlippo, photographer
Photo Credit: Jimmy DeFlippo, photographer
Photo Credit: Jimmy DeFlippo, photographer

At this moment, we were greeted at the Tea Cups by Alice in Wonderland. We were asked to split into 2 groups 1) ride Teacups. 2) take pictures with Alice, then switch.

I was in the first group of Teacup riders! Then, I chatted with Sean Astin. What a nice guy!

We continued on into our run...

Photo Credit: Jimmy DeFlippo, photographer
Photo Credit: Jimmy DeFlippo, photographer
Photo Credit: Jimmy DeFlippo, photographer
Photo Credit: Jimmy DeFlippo, photographer
Stopping at Mad Hatter Tea Party in 
California Adventure....
look who shows up!

They served us a wonderful breakfast & I had the chance to visit with Team Super Hero Ambassadors, Kelley & Jenney

We got to hear from great people and heard more about the runDisney future

As our morning ended, we walked back through the park and I relished every moment of being there. The heat & humidity did not damper my fun. 

It was a Magical morning to start an equally magical weekend. Thank you runDisney for this opportunity and for putting a smile on my face that has not gone away!
 
Photo Credit: Jimmy DeFlippo, photographer
Review - 
PRO'S:  *The atmosphere, the food, THE RUN THROUGH THE PARK, the people, the goodie bag!
CON'S:  *I can't run the park every AM!

Coming Soon!  Part 2: Expo

(C) C. Ragsdale 2010-13
___________________
Run F.A.B. & Boston Strong,
Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
*Sponsored by
RobKellerMD.com, KT Tape and Island Boost
*SuperHero Events Ambassador 2013-14
*Founder, Running Troops
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter
~Blog Disclaimer - Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.