Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Runner's Confidence vs Ego | 10 Points to Ponder



We are all human (or I hope so).  And we all have ego's.  Running can feed that ego.  Running can also deflate the ego (confidence).  It's a delicate balance of inflated ego and self-confidence.  

I am embarking on my 3rd year of running & racing, and I still believe I have so much to experience.   Here is what I experienced , learned & observed - please share your thoughts in the comment section.

1.  Being an Brand Ambassador, sponsored athlete or on a specific running team does not make you/me a better runner or person.  It gives us more responsibility.  The company who sent us the gear and their products is entrusting you with their brand. Be a good example on social media, races and in the community.  I have seen many Brand Ambassadors or sponsored athletes who give their brands a horrible reputation.  This saddens me.  Remember, we are the face and voice of that brand.  With power, comes great responsibility, be humble and kind to the sport who got you that sponsorship or team selection.  Never under value experience.  A newbie racer cannot have the same experiences as a veteran. Embrace the time you have been racing, there will always be someone who has greater experiences than you. 

2.  When you see someone else post/tweet their accomplishment - do not post "I wish I could do that" or talking about what you need or want in your own training or racing.  Instead, congratulate them - give them a virtual high five.  That post is about THEM, not youYour time will come.

3. What you accomplish today can and most likely be taken from you, in the future.  I have always said, I would never take for granted I would run a sub2 Half at all my races.  From September - February, I did not achieve the sub2 Finish Time.  Setbacks happen, but if you keep moving forward, you can regain.   Bodies and life changes.  Go with the flow, it's going to be okay. 

4.  When a fellow runner has an off day - be their sense of encouragement.  Let them know you value their competition, their ability to inspire you.  Be a source of friendship to your fellow runner.

5.  You might be the big boss at your job, but we are all on the same level when we race. Yes, some are faster than others - but your College Degree, your work title is not relevant on the race course.

6.  Be polite to the media.

7.  Be friendly to all. Read #1.   That doesn't mean you need to be FRIENDS with everyone, but a simple cordial smile or hello goes a long way.

8.  Remember, someone is looking at you to inspire them.  They should never be a bother to you.  You were once the newbie runner who was in awe of other accomplishments.  Please do not ignore,  disregard any runner who comes up to you to say "congratulations" - they took the time to come to you, at least take a moment to say "thank you" and smile.

9.  The racing community is made up with diverse people and cultures.  Not everyone is a BQ'er or a sub20 5k'er.  Celebrate and embrace all racers.  Respect your fellow runner and you will receive respect. 

10.  Don't take yourself so seriously.  Even the Elites have fun.  We should to. 

(c) C. Ragsdale 2010-12
___________________
Run F.A.B.,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
*Sponsored Brand Ambassador for
RobKellerMD.com
*San Francisco Marathon Ambassador 2012-13
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter
~Blog Disclaimer - Click Here

3 comments:

  1. Great comments! I do have to respectfully disagree a little with #2--a lot of the time, when someone says that they wish that they could do what you just did, they're just intending to say that they really respect your accomplishment and all the hard work you put in. That's not true if they talk about themselves for five minutes but if it's a passing comment, I think most people generally intend the comment as a compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your insight, Beth! I wish I could say that most do say it as a compliment...I have seen the opposite way too many times (aka Jealousy & Envy) - but, your point is valid. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very insightful, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.