Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I Loved My Treadmill Yesterday



An odd occurence happened yesterday, I LIKED running on the Treadmill. I bought it last year to prepare me for the hot winter months of marathon training. I have used it from time to time, but not nearly as much as I thought I would.  It's a good safety device when I don't want to run outside.  Which is VERY rare.

Yesterday was one of those days. I didn't want to go outside.  

I decided to do a tempo run (will do my speedwork on my regular tempo run day).  My treadmill has settings from 1-10.  No middle settings, so I jump from one speed to the next fairly quickly.  I got into my pace at 7 and did a lap of 400 at 8.  I repeated that several times.  I ran a total of 4 miles.

Here is what I discovered....How many times do we run as a good pace and we feel our bodies slowing down?  It's hard to keep the exact pace ALL the time, right?

Well...I was kicking it at 8 and my mind and body wanted to slow down. I couldn't even if I wanted to. Why not?  The treadmill was not slowing down unless I hit another button. I wouldn't do that. So, I was FORCED to run that pace, even though I wanted to stop.  This is mind bending, isn't it? 

When I got done with my 4 miles, which included the 400 sprints - I felt accomplished.  I knew no matter what, I nailed that pace at each 400.  What was the pace at Speed 8?  According to my online research, that was 7:30.

Speed 7 is at a 8:34 pace.  Jumped from 8:34 to 7:30 pace a few times. Not too shabby, huh?  

I am going to do this from time to time - tempo's on the treadmill. 

How do you train on the treadmill?  Any tips?

(c) C. Ragsdale 2010-12
___________________
Run F.A.B.,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
*Sponsored Brand Ambassador for
RobKellerMD.com
*San Francisco Marathon Ambassador 2012-13
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter
~Blog Disclaimer - Click Here

1 comment:

  1. My usual dreadmill workout is to do intervals. I start with a 1 mile warm-up at 8.0 and then go into half-mile intervals. I usually start at between 9.0 and 9.4 for the run and then walk for .1 at a 3.6. Depending on how I feel I will do 4.5 or 6 miles. The great thing about intervals is that if you are having a bad day you can always manage to run half a mile, you just need to convince yourself to do it several times.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.