Thursday, January 17, 2013

THANKFUL THURSDAY | Going Gluten-Free

Thankful Thursday - 

Since I have made my announcement that I have gone Gluten-Free, due to gluten intolerance, I have received and overwhelming level of support and information.  I am thankful I have learned so much about GF in the past few weeks. 

This pocket sized book is my new BFF

Bought at Amazon.com





I have the Find me Gluten Free app on my phone

http://www.findmeglutenfree.com/



As I said in my original blog post - CLICK HERE, I refuse to let food define me.  It is not the top of my identity in life.  I am a wife, mother, friend and athlete who happens to be Gluten Free.  I do not consider myself a Gluten Free wife, mother, friend and athlete.

I have learned some things along the way.

1.  Canned tuna in WATER is not GF.  It opens has soy sauce in it, even the "natural" kind.  Soy sauce is not GF.  Just ask my stomach.

2.  Read labels and read labels again.  Research websites and community boards.  Not all energy bars are GF.

3.  Not all sushi is GF.  It depends on the sauce they use. Again, ask my stomach. 

4.  Not all drinks are GF.  Luckily, one of my treats is Canada Dry Ginger Ale.  It is GF.  Most Cola's are not (I don't drink them anyways)

5.  It will be very frustrating to have to examine everythinng you eat, drink and put in your mouth.  It's no longer a matter of taking away meat out of the diet, I have to examine everything.

6.  It will get better.  Going GF is not an instant healer.  It is a start of a new way of life.  Gluten causes inflammation and damage.  It will take a long while for it to heal, but the effort is worth it.   It is so nice to have days (let's face it, even hours) without GI distress.

7. There are moments there will be tears. Tears of frustration of what to eat, tears of fear of eating something new or even tears of happiness that I went through an entire day or run without GI pain.

8. I love my family.  He is going out of his way to find what he can cook for me.  My kids.  They love trying new foods and they have been wonderful on trying our new recipes and actually enjoying them.

9.  Grateful I was vegan for almost a year.  Fresh fruits & vegetables are my BFF's.  If I had not made that transition a year ago, this would be very hard to deal with.

10.  I don't miss bread, because I can eat a wide variety of GF breads.

I am grateful for my renewed health and most importantly, no GI issues.   I am happier & my family is happier, too. 

What are you thankful for today? 




(c) C. Ragsdale 2010-12
___________________
Run F.A.B.,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
*Sponsored Brand Ambassador for
RobKellerMD.com
*San Francisco Marathon Ambassador 2012-13
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter
~Blog Disclaimer - Click Here

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I have to keep reminding myself about #6 things will get better. I recently went GF and still find it a little difficult. #4 is important, many coffee drinks are not GF. Carmel coloring is not. Congrats on #9. As for #10 I would like to suggest Bavarian gluten free breads! They are delicious. Do not let anyone tell you that you can't eat bread because you are GF. This is not true. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and input. I am still trying out different breads. I have found a rice flour bread that I like better than traditional bread. I cannot remember the brand, I need to buy some.

    It is difficult at times. I even find myself getting paranoid about foods in restaurants. I do have the Gluten Enzyme capsules (from VitaCost) and I will take one, if I am unsure about something.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.