Thursday, January 31, 2013

SURFIN' USA | Actually, RUNNING PCH

In a few short days, we will be on the road to Surf City Half in Huntington Beach, CA. It's my first Half of 2013 and Angela's 2nd.  Remember, she is going for the 13 Half's in one year.  Glad I can be a part of so many of her races.

I am looking forward to getting back to Huntington Beach. I love the event, the organization, the swag and this course.  It was the place I ran my 2012 Best Half.


Start of Surf City Marathon/Half      www.runsurfcity.com

I have been gluten-free for a month and my stomach is doing great~ I am sleeping A LOT more than normal and that is typical, as my body is still in the healing phase. Gluten causes significant inflammation in our bodies. I am grateful that my sponsor provides me with the Original Glutathion Formula, which helps heal inflammation.  Another score for RKMD!   I feel so much stronger than I was a few months ago, but I don't feel faster (if that makes sense).  That's okay.  This year, is about rebuilding and focusing on two Half's (Fontana in June & Hoover Dam in December). All other Half's are gauges to see my progress (if any).

While I know my mind desperately needs a sub2 (as I only missed it by a few seconds at Disneyland), I still need that "1" by my name, again.  Yet, it might not happen at Surf City, my body will have to decide what it is going to do that morning.  I do know this...whatever I am running, I will give it my 100%, the entire race. 

I will be wearing my new San Francisco Ambassador Singlet,  headband & black shorts.  Shoes:  my new Blue/Gray Brooks T7's (they coordinate with my SFM Singlet).  You can expect me to wear this same outfit for all my upcoming CA races through June.  I am so honored to be able to represent this race and hope it will inspire you to register.





For fueling, I will be using Honey Stinger Gel's and Swedish Fish. I will drink the water from the aid stations (I have been in contact with the RD to inquire about the water supply and it is bottled and distributed appropriately).



Post race, they offer Dole Fruit cups, which happen to be GF.  I will consume A LOT of fruit at the Finish Line and then follow up with a Bonk Breaker bar from my back-up when I retrieve it from the Gear Check.



I have also gone back to a tradition that I should of never stopped in 2012.  In 2011, I dedicated each mile to someone who has inspired me since my last race.  I email them to tell them what mile is their mile and why.  I then write their names on the back of my bib.  I very some of the names, but many of them stay the same.    Of course, I always start and finish my race with the same mile, my Ladybug.

I feel more relaxed and at east with this race, than I have felt in a long time. Will it guarantee me a sub2?  Nope, it won't.  But, I know I will have the joy of running a Half without any GI issues, and that in itself is victory to me!

Of course, seeing all my CA running buddies is going to be the highlight of my trip!


(c) C. Ragsdale 2010-12
___________________
Run F.A.B.,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
*Sponsored Brand Ambassador for
RobKellerMD.com
*San Francisco Marathon Ambassador 2012-13
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter
~Blog Disclaimer - Click Here

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for Surf City! It's my first full (I commented on your Daily Mile yesterday). While you've done the half, can you provide any tips/recommendations about the course?

    Thanks and good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.