Monday, November 12, 2012

*CHAR SHARES* Every day is a New Beginning

New Beginnings - (not the Star Wars kind, but life kind)

When I awoke this morning, it hit me.  One week from today, I will witness a life-altering event.  My husband and sister will be reunited - after being 37 years apart and not knowing where each other were.

I sat on the edge of my bed and cried.  I was taken back to the moment almost 17 years ago when my husband told me about his separation from his mom and sisters.  I remember seeing the look of pain in his eyes.  I remember feeling his heartache.  We had only been dating for a month, but that moment - I vowed to start looking for him. Surely, it couldn't be that hard to find them.  How wrong I was!

For the next 16 1/2 years...I was relentless in finding any clues I could to their whereabouts.  It appeared they had vanished from the planet.  No trace of them anywhere.  No one could give me answers.  There were times I paused the investigation, but I never gave up hope.  However, my husband accepted we would never know what he was aching to know. The truth.

Since they first spoke on July 13th - they have texted or spoke everyday.  I have seen our little family of 4 (plus 2 dogs + a hamster) grow to a multitude of people.  Words have been added to our everyday language - Aunt, Uncle, Cousins, Nieces, Nephews, Sister & Brother-in-Law.  I grew up as an only child, so my children have never had any concept of an Aunt, Uncles or Cousins.  

Since I grew up as an only child - this is all new to me.  All the time I spent looking for my husband's family, I never thought about how it would impact my world.  I have a Sister.  That in itself, is rather mi nd-boggling to me.  She has become a friend, that I value and love.

My mind thinks about how I will feel seeing my husband embrace his sister for the first time.  I cannot describe how I feel, but I don't know if there are any words.  I know as I sit here...my eyes are welling up with tears and my hands begin to shake. 

Have you ever wanted so much for someone you love, that it hurts?  That is how I felt for the last 16 1/2 years.  When that reunion occurs, the pain will finally be gone.  The pain that my husband and his sister have felt for 37+ will finally be gone.

We will share Thanksgiving Day together.  We will celebrate birthday's together.  

There have been countless friends who have embraced this journey with us.  I will share with you pictures and other details, as time permits.  We want to share this journey with you, as you have held us up the last few months.

It's time...it's really going to happen.  I have a feeling I am going to need to invest in a lot of tissues. 

(c) C. Ragsdale 2010-12
___________________
Run F.A.B.,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
*Sponsored Brand Ambassador for
RobKellerMD.com
*San Francisco Marathon Ambassador 2012-13
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter
~Blog Disclaimer - Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.