I have always said, I would only run that event as a Pacer. When I posted my answer, there were no pacers for the event.
That has changed.
I am the official Vegas Half 2:15 Pacer
Before anyone starts throwing fiery darts or tomatoes at me - please allow me to explain my decision
My focus has and always will be runner safety. That has not changed. I volunteered to be a Half Pacer, for the racers. This is not a race for me - I will GLADLY give up my swag & my Finisher Medal, to ensure another racer has one.
As a pacer - my focus is razor sharp: To help racers achieve their goals of finishing by 2:15.
My personal PR is 1:44:16 - achieved less than a year ago. I am consistently a sub2 Half Marathoner. Running a 2:15 is not an issue to me. I will give it my 100% focus to ensure the runners in my pace group reach the Promised Land. That is a job, I take very seriously.
I know many racers will never understand my choice and some will believe I selling out or changing my standards. They are wrong. My standards are just as high as they were a year ago, and that is why I am pacing in this event. I am a Certified Running Coach and a Vegas citizen - I cannot turn my back on the multitude of racers coming to my city.
- To my running buddies: This past year, you held me up, you cheered me on and brought me back to life. Literally. As I cross the Start Line with a pacing group behind me...it's a victory for us all and proof we ALL can rise above any circumstance. We are defeated, if we quit. I did not quit and I won't. Thank you for not letting me quit.
- To those in my pace group - thank you in advance for trusting me with your goals. I will do everything with my own power to ensure your safety and give you an experience of a lifetime. I am not just a runner with a Garmin, I will be your Coach for 2 hours and 15 minutes. I will guide you when to fuel, hydrate and cheer you on. When we cross that Finish Line together...we ALL Celebrate! I can't wait to see the Finisher Medal around your neck!
To help you train & prepare, here are my previous blog posts:
- Here Are Some Tips to Enjoy Vegas
- Nighttime Nutrition | The Do's and Dont's
- Race Day (Night) Tips | What to Wear & What Not To Wear
- To Clark County Government (Las Vegas) - thank you for listening to us and for your efforts this past year. It has not gone unnoticed.
- And finally, to CGI/RnR - We all make mistakes, I will be the first to admit to the mistakes I have made in my own life. No one is immune to making mistakes. The key is how we respond to those mistakes, agreed? We can either be bitter enemies or unite and give the racers the experience they deserve on December 2nd. I prefer to be united, I believe the racing community deserves it.
(c) C. Ragsdale 2010-12
Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
*Sponsored Brand Ambassador for RobKellerMD.com
*San Francisco Marathon Ambassador 2012-13
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter
~Blog Disclaimer - Click Here