Monday, July 2, 2012

Increasing Mileage & Recovery | Know Thyself

Hope everyone had a great weekend!  Did you do anything fun?  I am looking forward to the Fourth of July.  A day off from work and a chance to relax and pretty much do nothing (except run, of course).

I finished up my weekend with a 21 miler.  Which gave me 44 miles for the week and 150+ for the month of June.  50+ miles, per month - than I typically run.

There always seems to be an on-going debate on how much to increase your mileage.

The average rule of thumb (especially for novice runners!) is increase by 10% every week.  However, it is not a one-size-fits-all scenario.  I know some athletes who can increase more and I know some athletes should not increase that much.  I ran 3 weeks of 30+ & 40+ miles.  Last week, I dropped down to 12 miles for the entire week.  That is best for me and through LOTS of experimentation - I found what works for me, for the moment. 

Know Thyself.  Know Your Body.  


There is a difference between soreness and pain.  Soreness - expected and good.  Pain - not good.  It usually means an injury.  Stop.  Seek medical attention and healing.

I have run through so many sore muscles, I have soreness on top of soreness at times.  Last injury - March 2011 (16 months ago)

After a 21 mile run - I am in recovey mode ALL day.  That doesn't mean I am on the couch doing nothing.  That's resting, not a full recovery.

At least 3 times, preferably 4 times after my long run - I do this routine, in this order:

Foam Roller (I use the Trigger Point GRID Roller) - my entire lower body and lower back
+ Stretch out muscles (entire body)
+ ICE (knees, ankles or whatever else is rather achy at the moment).  I will even ICE if I am not achy.  This offsets inflammation
 +Compression socks to keep the blood flowing in my lower legs

Does this take time?  Yes it does, but it is worth it.  About 30-45 minutes, including the 20 minutes of icing. But, I would rather do this, than hurt, be achy and not be able to run the next day or two. 

The other thing I do for recovery - food intake

Within 30 minutes of finishing any run, I consume my NeoCell Collagen protein powder (no, I do not get paid to endorse their products). 

I will also take all my vitamins - especially RobKellerMD.com Original Glutathione Optimizer (again, no I don't get paid to endorse their products - I have been using this formulation since 2008, only recently have I been hired to work for them).

RECOVERY = prepares you for your next run.  RECOVER well and you will be ready to take on the next workout.

The day after the 21 miles - expected soreness, but nothing overwhelming. 

This week:  LVTC Notch Run at Mt Charleston.  I will share you my story about this race, later on this week.

Have a great week!  Please feel free to share your RECOVERY steps...by commenting below


(c) C. Ragsdale 2011-12
___________________
Run F.A.B.,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
RRCA Certified Running Coach, IFA Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I spent last year running through the pain and I paid for it...This year I am doing things very different. Resting, eating better, foam roller, massage and stretching... And my favorite (NOT) core workouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Do what is best for your body - you know it better than anyone. Thanks for the comment. Keep up the great training and recovery!

      Delete
  2. Great post, as always. Although it is often easy to forget, I have finally learned (at least most days) to take the time to do what I know I need to after a workout of any size. Thank you for always having reminders for us all. The recovery socks/sleaves are also something I have learned to wear on a plane or in a car when I know I am going to be stationary for an extended period, for me at least it has helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all learning. I learned it is SO easy to slip back to old habits. I use this recovery out of necessity - I want to feel better, post run. The compression sleeves/socks are great for many uses, not only running. Thanks for commenting, Julia!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.