Monday, June 11, 2012

My Weekend Overview: Angela's Bday & Long Run

Hope everyone had a great weekend! 

Mine started with a SPRINT out the door! Talk about speed work!!! I set my phone alarm to go off at 4:30am on Saturday AM.  It didn't go off, and my dogs woke me up at 6am. I was suppose to be at Angela's house AT 6am to go to her Bday Race.

I texted her and told her to go without me, I would be there when I could.  Two kids, two dogs fed, dressed, etc - we were out the door by 6:15-6:20am.  Talk about miracles.

It was going to take us a minimum of 30 minutes to get to the race.  Gun time was 7am.

We arrived at the race site at 6:50 and I made a mad dash to the restrooms, of course.

The course was a 6K.  Why that unusual distance?  Bruce Trent (where the race was located) is exactly a 6K distance, so why not, huh?

Several friends came out and a few dressed in green, to celebrate her b'day.  Just as some came out to my b'day run dressed in purple.

Angela and I decided to just take it easy on the run.  No racing.  I was running along side of her, pacing.  Youngest son did the 2 mile.

The park has some challenging inclines, but Angela held on and kept at it, as always.

As we were coming up to the Finish Line - in true b'day celebration fashion, my kids were there holding a sign "HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGELA!"

Angela loved it!


The GREEN GALS - Brandi, Angela & myself
 Click here to see more pictures of the AM

Came home and decided I still needed a run. Ran for another 4 miles - in the blistering 90+ degree weather. I was a puddle of sweat when I got back home.

Sunday AM- I was out the door at 4:45 for the long run.  It was actually kinda nippy/cool.  Nice! I ran 5 miles solo at tempo, then met with Angela to run her 10 mile LSD and then I continued on for another 3 miles, at tempo.  That gave me a total of 18 miles and 40+ for the week. Somehow, I ended up with 10 more miles this week, that I had not planned.

Last week, I posted I would be running 30 miles each week until the end of July.  Well, the last time I ran a 40 mile week (later part of April) I was DEAD on Sunday. Not this time.

So, I am going to shoot for 35-40 on my typical training weeks, with a long, LSD.  On my off weeks, I will stay at 30.  

Next week, I will be running 20-22 on my LSD.  When I do an LSD, I always give myself permission to cut back a mile or add miles.  Always being mindful of anything that could cause me harm or injury (heat, soreness, etc).  If my body doesn't feel right, I won't add more miles.

Once I crank out a 20+ mile training run, my head will wrap around running a Full, again. Right now, my head isn't there.  But, I have a little over 50 days to get there. 

I won't be any faster, but I will be stronger both physically and mentally.  In fact, I don't see a PR happening at ET (straight uphill for 13 miles!) Someday. I will shoot for the sub4 and BQ's - but for now, I am still learning how to run that great distance of 26.2. 

How was your weekend?
 
(c) C. Ragsdale 2011-12
___________________
Run F.A.B.,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Running Coach, Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.