Thursday, May 31, 2012

My Decision Not to Race Fontana Half

Yesterday, I made the decision not to race Fontana, this weekend.  Speculations started swirling around the internet as to why I made that decision (don't you just love how people do that?  Not.)

Allow me to clarify:

1.  I am not injured nor sick
2.  I am certainly NOT under trained.  Downhills are my specialty and I am more than ready for that race.

A series of personal events came up that I felt it was best to not race this weekend.  Nothing tragic, just a choice of priorities.  I have PLENTY of other races to run this year - and more importantly, ET Full Marathon is in August.

Since I announced I would not be running Fontana, I have had several people ask me if I would sell my bib.  Instead of repeating myself to all, I decided to address the issue on my blog.

Fontana forbids transfers and selling of bibs.  Could I get away with it? Yes, I could, but I won't.  

I will not allow someone to run under my name (no matter how fast they are) nor would I run for someone else.  It is a boundary I will not cross. 

Yes, I know the person could remove the chip and it wouldn't be timed, but it still is not ethical...

In my opinion.

It doesn't matter if I paid $30 or $300 for this race, the race rules are the rules and I agreed to them when I registered. 

So, for those who are inquiring - you have your answer.  If I could sell you my bib, I would - but I can't.  Sorry.

(c) C. Ragsdale 2011-12
___________________
Run F.A.B.,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Running Coach, Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

3 comments:

  1. Charlene - I applaud you for this. Kudos to you.

    Sorry you can't race this weekend. I know this wasn't an easy decision, but I trust it's the right one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jay. It wasn't an easy decision, but the right thing to do, for me.

      I think the hardest part for me is I can't give my bib to someone else who really wants to run. I wish I could give it away, but I can't. Unfortunately, when I first registered (day it opened) I could not anticipate I would need to make a choice.

      Lots more races on my schedule for this year...all is FAB-O!

      Delete
  2. I would approach it in the same way, you have great principles and morals to stand by that decision and things that are personal in your life should stay personal. Race rules should be respected by all!
    -Jer

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.