Friday, April 13, 2012

My Homemade Energy Packet Recipe

I have always had a sensitive tummy.  Since the Vegas Half 2011, my stomach has not been the same.

I quickly learned during the LA Marathon, what I could typically consume for fuel, was no longer an option for me.

Since then, I have been on a quest to find the right fueling for me, without any GI issues and to give me the energy to get through the Half's and Full's.

Since I am a meatless eater (I use a collagen based protein powder as my stomach cannot handle Hemp powder). I did a lot of research and comparing many vegan-type of recipes out there.

Below is the recipe I came up that works for me.   


  • When you are changing your fueling - you MUST use the fueling over and over again, on all types of distances, tempos and runs.  This will be the only way you can decide what works best for you.  One run on a new fueling plan will not be a correct gauge.  

I recommend you take 3-4 weeks to develop your fueling plan.  Do NOT try this on race day.  (Remember, the #1 rule:  NEVER try anything new on race day)

Here is my basic Half Marathon Fueling Plan (I am still working on my Full Marathon Plan) - ALWAYS drink at least a 1/2 cup of water (not sports drinks) with each fueling intake.  If not, you will get stomach cramps (if not, worse). 

30-45 minute PreRace:  Energy Packet
Race
  • 30 minutes: Energy Packet
  • 1 hour:  Hammer Electroylyte Capsules (I take 2, but will take more during warmer temps)
  • 1 hour 15 minutes: Energy Packet
  • 1 hour  30-35 minutes: Energy Packet
*Note:  If I am sweating A LOT - I will add another round of capsules during before the 1:30 mark

Again, this is what works for ME, you need to find out what works for you.  Your fitness level, your height & your weight all factor into your fuel timing.  Using this plan, I had significant energy during my most recent Half Marathon and not one moment of GI issues. 

Here is the recipe for my Fueling Packets.

  • 1/2 c. NeoCell Collagen Sports Powder
  • 2/3 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/4 c. ground flax seed
  • 1/8 c. chia seeds
  • 1/4 c. oatmeal
  • 1/8 c. cocoa powder
  • 1/2 c. raw almonds
  • 1 c. water-soaked & pitted dates (Dates are an excellent source of energy.  It is fast acting and easy on the stomach.)


 Put all ingredients into a Blender (not a Food Processor):



Blend together on HIGH for a few moments.  Make sure the nuts are ground up, well.


Put the mixture into little bags.  Fill up 1/2 - 3/4 full.  NOT 100% Full.  You need the extra room to put in the gel holders in your fueling belt.  I use 2" x 3" plastic bags (I ordered from Amazon.com)...

TIP:  Use a Bakers Icing bag to fill your bag.  It's MUCH cleaner, easier and faster.  Using a spoon or knife is quite messy. 

When you are done - depending on how full the bags are - you should have about 25-27 little energy packets:  KEEP REFRIGERATED until your next run/race


Cost:  Each packet costs me about 35cents.  Very inexpensive!  Healthy and VERY yummy!

Here is one of the packets on my fueling belt:

Experiment with the recipe to make it perfect for your tastes:

  • Want more flavor:  Add more blueberries
  • Want more sweet:  Add more dates
  • Want more chocolate:  Add more chocolate
  • Want more texture:  Add more nuts and/or oatmeal
RACE DAY TIP:  No need to "open the zipper" on the little bags.  Just rip open and squeeze the mixture into your mouth, just like you would with a commercial Gel.


If you try this recipe - please let me know how you like it and if it works for you.  


(c) C. Ragsdale 2011-12
___________________
Run F.A.B.,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Running Coach, Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. These sound good, going to try them soon for a long training run. Any ideas on nutritional info? I will likely substitute the sports powder with Vega or something. Otherwise, love the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, thanks for commenting. I have not figured it out, as it is very subjective based on how much you fill up the bag. I used Brandon's (Vega) basic recipe and tweeked it to be my own. So, you are good to go.

    Let me know how they work for you.

    I also will eat mini ClifBars, just into pieces into the same little baggies.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.