Tuesday, February 28, 2012

NEW From My Kitchen: Mixed Berry Chia Seed Jam | So GOOD!

About a week ago, my new running pal (Angela W.) shared with me a recipe about making jam with chia seeds. If you have followed me for awhile, you know I love the nutritional value of chia seeds. Her recipe caught my attention.

So....after I went to my favorite shoe store to buy inserts for my running shoes for LA Full (I don't wear inserts all the time, but I feel that having that extra support with the LOOOOOONG miles will be beneficial for me and my muscles) - I headed over to the local Trader Joe's.

I bought a small bag of frozen mixed berries. Let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator.

Here is the recipe I followed:

Mixed Berries and Chia Seeds


2 cups of mixed fruit. It just so happens that the bag of fruit was 2 cups. I dumped the entire contents (including the juice) into the blender (we just bought a Ninja - and LOVE it!).

Blend until smooth

Berries after blending
Add 2 T of chia seeds - mix with a spoon.

Taste. If you feel you need a little extra sweet - add your sweetener of choice.

I poured it into a neat-o glass container we bought at the thrift store for 10cents. Just the right size. Put in refrigerator & chill.

Jam in the Jar!
Here is my toast (with Almond Butter)

Yum!
Time to make: 5 minutes

KID TESTED and APPROVED!

COST: Less than $3 for a good sized container. Have you seen how much jam is in the grocery store AND it's packed with junk and preservatives. By making your own jam, you save $$$ and it's better for you!

What interesting recipes have you made with chia seeds?  



(c) C. Ragsdale 2011-12
___________________
Run F.A.B.,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Running Coach, Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Oh that looks so delicious! I would have it the same way, on toast with almond butter, lol. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo that looks SO good! HAVE to make.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.