Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Winter Weight Gain? | Weigh-in On Your Thoughts

Winter weight gain has been a common complaint of many athletes and non-athletes. It seems that every winter we add a few pounds, don't we?

Is the weight gain because of the Christmas cookies, gravy dinners or other factors?

While over indulgence of sweets, fats and carbs will ALWAYS increase our waistline, any time of the year, there can be other factors involved.

There is a lot of discussion that we have a natural genetic inclination to store more fat as winter approaches. Many animals do this and it was probably vital to survival for our ancestors. Extra layers of tissue on the body protect us against the cold. It is then used as fuel in the late winter and early spring when food stocks would historically be very low due. Thank your Great-Grandparents.

My Honeybear (dog: half Corgi/Cocker Spaniel) gains weight and LOTS of hair, every winter. She is eating the same and running the same - but she has gained weight. We go through this every Winter with her. Pounds peel off when Spring time comes.

And you know - the same for me! (No, I don't gain a lot of hair LOL) but I feel like I gain weight. My diet doesn't change, I have the same workout plan. So, I *think* my genes pool is one to go into fat storing during the winter.

When I look at my recent race day pictures, I can tell (for me) I am not as slender as I typically am, especially in the mid and thigh section. Have I gained weight? Maybe 3-5 lbs. Not much, but enough for me to think, "huh?"

Next time you fret about some winter weight gain and you are still working out and eating the RIGHT foods in appropriate moderations - don't fret. Spring is coming!

Keep working out and eating right! Diets don't work - change of lifestyle does.

(c) C. Ragsdale 2011-12
___________________
Run F.A.B.,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Running Coach, Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.