Friday, January 20, 2012

Running Solo? Here Are Some Safety Tips |Please Share with a Friend

In recent months, there have been several reports of missing runners. Sadly, in most cases, the runners will end up dead. I can't imagine the heartache that family and friends must be feeling. Not only am I saddened by these crimes, I am angry.

Innocently, a runner leaves his/her house to better her/himself and during that time, some savage animal decided to take matters into their own hands.
 
Many don't know - I grew up as a Cop's Daughter. When your youngest childhood memories include the murders, robberies and police funerals - it defines you. While I don't live in fear - I am very aware of life around me. Ask anyone who knows me, I have the instincts of a attack dog. I can smell trouble a mile away. It's part of my DNA.


I would like to give you some tips to those who choose to run alone. Running alone is NOT a hazard, but there are ways to offset any potential dangers that could save your life and ward off a potential attacker - please share this with other runner friends.



1. Never run the same course two days in a row. Abductors/attackers look for patterns. If you run the same road everyday, they know this.  Also, when you alternate - don't develop another pattern.  For example - run different routes each Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.  Never be predictable to an outsider.

2. Never leave your home at the same time everyday. This goes with #1. Don't create a predictable pattern of your life.

3. Don't run in parks, fields, any place that has places an abductor can hide.

4. Even when running down a street - stay away from shrubs and bushes.

5. Don't run with headphones. You need to hear what is BEHIND you. An attacker will most likely not come AT you, but take you from behind.

6. Take a self-defense class. Learn defense techniques that can give you a few seconds to RUN away. Remember, you are a runner - you can get away!

7. Attach a noise making device to your clothes. Don't count on screaming - most likely your mouth will be covered by your attacker. Buy something you can easily push with your fingers and it attaches to your jacket. Remember, your attacks has his hands on YOU - your hands are free. MAKE noise!

8. If you can scream - scream "FIRE! Someone help me FIRE!" That gets attention. If you scream, "HELP ME!" some people might ignore - but "FIRE!" always gets attention.

9. Run with a dog.

10. Run in well-lit areas and high traffic areas.

11. Run in BRIGHT clothing. Easily spotted by a passerby.

12. Do not post your EXACT route on FB, Twitter, DailyMile etc (even post run). You never know who is reading it. Delete all your routes posted on your profile page on DailyMile. 

13. Be aware. When a someone is coming towards you and walks/runs passed you. Take a quick moment and look back over your shoulder to ensure they are still walking/running away from you. Remember, once they pass you - they are behind you. If this person is an attacker, this is the perfect time to attack you.

14.  Mace?  That's debatable.  You have to be able to spray directly in someone's eye's or nose.  That's hard to do when you are being attacked from behind.  I recommend carrying a pointy rock in your palm. You can bang it on someone's head, arm, etc.  It becomes an instant weapon and no aiming needed. Using a pointy rock as a weapon will stun your attacker long enough for you to get away.  Don't be afraid to go for blood.  Remember, it's your life or his. 


Safety is in your hands. Don't let these creeps hurt you and leave your family in despair.

Run Safe -


(c) C. Ragsdale 2011-12
___________________
Run F.A.B.,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Running Coach, Certified Sports Nutritionist & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post - this makes me soooo angry that we even have to consider these things! (But life isn't fair- so we do)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, you are welcome. Yes, it is very disturbing, but we have to take our safety seriously. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you shared this. I run alone but I always have something on me for this reason. And I always make sure to vary my routes. I am going to share this on my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Photina- thanks for your comment and sharing on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.