Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Product Review: Chocolate #9 Energy Gel | Warning: Chocoholics Will Love This Product
I recently heard about Chocolate #9 Energy Gel, and the name intrigued me so I went to their website.
What I found was a very unique type of Gel. One that claims it is Gluten Free and certified to have a low glycemic level. All certified documentation. Impressive!
In fact, here is a list of their benefits, according to their website:
• is sweetened only with organic agave.
• contains no refined sugar or other HIGH glycemic index sweeteners.
• has been – tested and certified – as a “LOW” glycemic index (GI) item.
• Chocolate #9 LOW GI gel reduces the negative effect of repetitive insulin “spiking” during sustained exercise.
• won’t cause a sugar high or a sugar low – bonk.
• is an excellent energy choice for endurance athletes.
• is suitable for most diabetics – and used by Team Type 1.
• is an excellent choice for those not wanting to eat refined sugar.
• is vegan, low fat and gluten free.
• contains no synthetics – no unpleasant aftertastes – tastes great.
• contains no “mystery” ingredients, colorings, or preservatives.
• is easy on the stomach.
• best of all — Chocolate #9 tastes great.
I tried the samples they sent me on a long run and then asked a few runner friends to try it, also.
The taste is definitely chocolaty. More of a chocolate syrup flavor, the type you have on covered donuts. It’s more milk chocolate taste, than dark chocolate.
The benefit is that is very easy on the stomach. No complaints from me or my runner friends. Went down easy.
The only issue we had with the gel is it was rather sticky feeling in the mouth after consumption. Was it a big issue? No – but a little different than what we were accustomed to.
A benefit is it did not give a huge spike in energy and then a letdown. That was most noticeable in my client who is Diabetic. She was elated to have a gel that she could consume without hindering her health. Big score for her.
I personally liked the idea that it was made with agave nectar, not refined sugar. That is appealing to me.
Who would like this product: must LOVE chocolate, a lot. While I do like chocolate – maybe the pure chocolate was a little too much for me. My client who loves chocolate felt the chocolate taste was just right.
Will I recommend this product to other runners or even my clients? Yes, I would, especially if they are looking for a real chocolaty tasting gel.
My thanks to Chocolate #9 for sending me these samples, and for the opportunity to review your products on my blog. I was not compensated for this review, the opinions expressed are my own or give to me by runners I personally know.
(c) C. Ragsdale 2011
Celebrate Your Finish,
Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Certified Sports Nutritionist, Running Coach & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter