Friday, November 11, 2011

11/11/11 - Veterans Day 11K | Sense of Purpose

One never knows the beauty of freedom until it is removed or violated.

In my youth, I traveled abroad and I saw how unique our country is. I was born at an Air Force Base in Germany. My grandfather lost his life serving his Country (Spain).

I am very proud to know that our freedom is closely guarded and well protected.

I am grateful that I can pursue my fitness goals without the worry of being taken away by some militant. I am grateful that we can be who we want to be, in this great country of ours.

This isn't a political rant blog post - this is quite simply a way to honor the Veterans. When I see a military cemetary, I tear up. When I see a military funeral, my heart sinks.



Tonight, I will be running a 11K race to honor our Veterans. There are several other cities hosting such a run. For those who cannot make the run or don't have a city nearby, they have set it up to be a Virtual Race. Everyone can still receive a Finisher Medal.  But, the real award will be able to be along side our fine men and women who are serving or who have served.  Each one of them has a story, each one has given to this country.  They deserve the medals, not the runners. 

With the nagging muscle spasm in my upper back, who knows what will happen tonight. This isn't a race. I will walk if I need to...jog or run. The discomfort I feel tonight is NOTHING compared to what our troops face each day.

It is my chance to honor those who are there and for those who cannot be.

My sons said it best to me this morning, "mom, can't wait for the race tonight, so we can meet and thank THE VETERANS FOR PROTECTING US!"

God Bless Our Troops and their Families

(c) C. Ragsdale 2011
___________________
Celebrate Your Finish,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Certified Sports Nutritionist, Running Coach & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.