Thursday, September 15, 2011

Is it a Finisher Medal or a Training Device? | Odd Sight on my Disney Training Run

As many of you know, my family and I took a family vacation to Disneyland. We arrived the afternoon of the Disney Half. Missing that race was my fault (I missed registration) but in the long run, it was for the best.

As we walked Anaheim and went to Disneyland on Labor day - we saw LOTS of racers with their race shirts and medals on. My goodness - that finisher medal was as big as my hand (and I have LONG fingers!). Not sure I would wear my medal during my fun at Disney (scared it would break or fall off) - but I get why people did it the day of or even the day after.



Next year, I will be at that race - I have lots of people on the look out for me to ensure I don't miss registration, again!

A few days after the race, I set out to run my second run during vacation. It was thrilling to run along side of Disneyland. It's a sight and brought a smile to my face. Here is a picture I took on that run -



However, I will have to say the ODDEST site I saw on my run was another runner.

I turned the corner towards Disneyland Resort and I see this runner coming my way. He had something sparkly hanging from his neck. My first thought was his iPod was glistening in the sun.

As we ran closer - I noticed he had his race day T shirt on (which is nice) but he was RUNNING his run with his Finisher Medal on.

Even though I love my bling - and after RnRLV I did wear my medal for a day...I chuckled and waved at the guy as we ran by each other (I had no desire to take a picture of him)

To each their own, I get that - but to wear a Race Day Bling - 3 days later and ON a training run?

I think the Tshirt would of been sufficient, don't you?


What strange things have you seen other runners wear during a training run?

(c) C. Ragsdale 2011
___________________
Celebrate Your Finish,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Certified Sports Nutritionist, Running Coach & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. That race is a great race. Corrals work, which you have to qualify for. Great entertainment and great bling. We are headed to Florida to do the Goofy's Challenge in Jan and back to Disneyland for the Tinker Bell Half for our Coast to Coast Medals. They are the only large races I like to do.

    I have seen a runner with a bird on his shoulder before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeremy. Yes, I heard it's a great race. I have ran in corrals for Rock n Roll - and they are the only way with larger crowds. Good luck to you in the rest of the Disney races. Thanks for comment!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.