Tuesday, August 2, 2011

BY REQUEST | My Core Workout Routine - It Works!

Over the past 5 months, I have been a core-strength training and running form junkie. Initially, I was only looking for ways to heal my injured hip. Now, after my recovery – I see how a stronger core has improved my running and my everyday life, in general.



ABS – we all have them. Some are more “round” than others. It’s more than a few crunches or situps. It’s strategically working your abs in a way that are best utilized while you are running.


The following links are what I recommend to my friends, family and coaching clients - Do 1., 2. and 3. as your Workout, every time you work your Core!


1. ABS


Did you know you can do great strengtheners for you abs that also strengthen your knees?

Ultimate Ab Workout from Runner's World


2. HIPS

Next Step - the hips. Those sexy, swinging Elvis hips! The hips was not an easy routine to find. When I started researching and asking around FB and Twitter, all I got was “do the clam shell”. I knew there was more to it. Through a serious of evident, I found the Myrtl Method. I now use this as my warm up before runs and during strength training days, I will use light ankle weights.

Myrtl IHip Strengthener) Method Video  


3. GLUTES 

Lastly, it’s the area we ALL neglect – but it is the workhorse of our Core. The Glutes. Yes, the Tushy. We all crave that Runner’s Butt (I am still waiting for mine to arrive!) but in the meantime, work your glutes as part of your core routine.

Glute Strengtheners from Runners World


How often do I do my Core Routine? At least twice a week, if not three times. It’s how my body is built and I can do it that much, but I won’t do more.


Your Core is not your Abs-solo, it is every mechanism and muscle in your mid torso to your tush.


Make these 3 links a part of your core routine that you do at least twice a week and you should start to see running results within a month.


I have each of those links bookmarked on my laptop and my droid phone. If it is printable, I have also printed it out. I want this information at my fingertips at all times.


Does all this core workout work? You betcha! I have PR’d in EVERY race since March and even tackled a 4 mile hill race at 7500-8500 elevation with a great finish time.


Want to be a better athlete? Want to make your entire body stronger? – make your core better! Be sure to constant with your Dr. if you typically experience lower back problems, before you begin this or any core workout program.

(c) C. Ragsdale 2011
___________________
Celebrate Your Finish,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Certified Sports Nutritionist, Running Coach & Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.