Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Why I Will Not Run My First Full Marathon in Vegas | Tradition Is Not Lost



Since I announced that I will be running my first full marathon 2012 and it would not be in my own hometown Vegas, I have been asked why wouldn’t I run the 2011 Full Vegas?


Everyone has their personal reasons for running.


I ran my first ever race, last year the Vegas Half.

It was an exciting time to me; I soaked up every thrilling moment. Cheering with the crowds, wondering what I have gotten myself into around Mile 8 and crossing the finish line to the roar of the crowd. It was a 2+ hour party for me.


Since then, I have raced several 5K’s, 10k’s and a Half (with more to come, this year). In those race experiences I have learned one thing. I come to race and improve myself. I race against myself. A race to see if I can out perform the previous race. It doesn’t matter to me who is standing next to me or who crosses the finish line ahead or behind me.

I run my own race. While I enjoy the race atmosphere tremendously, and will always cheer others on, my race time is mine.


For that reason, I have elected to run the Vegas Half and not the run the Full in 2011.

My first Vegas Half – was all about the experiences for me. This year, my goals are different. I have a goal to break 2hours and do it with strength and know I have pushed myself to the very limits and achieved my goal. While I know I will have a great time with my fellow runners before and after the race – this year, I my goals and focus are entirely different. After the Vegas Half I will be ready to start training for my first Full, which will be out of state.


If I do not run this year’s Vegas Half this year, I will always wonder what I could of done, one year later after my first race on the same course. Vegas Full will have to wait until I have run a few more Full’s in other cities.


While running tradition often dictates that we should run our first FULL marathon in our hometown. The city I chose (which I will announce sometime this summer, after I register) – has a deep history to me, while growing up and always wanted to move there. So, I have not completely tossed aside tradition.

Who knows, maybe in Vegas 2012 is where I finally BQ (yea, right).


Thank you for all your support about my race decisions, I look forward to seeing you at the Start and Finish Line.

____________________
Live and Run Strong,


Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Half-Marathoner, Business Blogger, Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. BRAVO! I did the same thing, ran my first half marathon at Vegas and flew all the way from Columbus OH. I'm going to do Vegas again, but only the half. I've already chosen my first marathon and it will be one that I feel connected to. Running is just as much mental as it is geographical and physical. So excited to hear where you're gonna do it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.