Thursday, April 21, 2011

*CHAR SHARES* Why Bother? | 50 is the Downward Slope of Aging

In a few months, I will be celebrating my 50th birthday.

At least once a week, someone implies or asks me "why bother at this stage in your life?"  My reply, “why not bother?

Why not make my life the best it can be? Isn't that what we all want and desire - a great life?

I am not trying to make up for lost time. I cannot replace the 13+ years I was very ill. But, I can and I am taking control of my health, my body and my mind. There is no greater self-satisfaction than knowing me/you have taken control of our body. I have been on the opposite side, I know the self-defeating thoughts, when I was on the quick down slope of illness and declining health.

I don’t want to be a person who is in the nursing home or retirement home wishing they had taken better care of themselves. Yes, we all will pass away. That’s unavoidable – but in the meantime, I am living my life the best I can. I enjoy life. I have strength, I have energy and have made some great friends in this adventure.



So, why do I bother? 50 isn’t the down slide of my life – it’s the continuation of living a life the best I can, at this moment.  Age is just a number.  Bring it on AARP – I am ready. I am happy to let others make a big issue of my age, but I am not.

I have two school aged children, 10 and 12. Most women my age, have kids in college. Some of the parents in my kids classroom are young enough to be my own kids.


Age is not my title, nor my life description.

Besides, when I turn 80 years old – Maybe, I will be able to qualify for the Boston Marathon.

____________________
Live and Run Strong,


Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Half-Marathoner, Business Blogger, Public Speaker
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.