Sunday, February 6, 2011

What does Super Sunday mean to me? | It's not about Football

Ten years ago today – at the precise moment this blog was posted, I was wheeled into an operating room. 





The last thing I remembered was seeing the clock:  6:50am
I had waited 13 years for that day.  Through countless miscarriages and surgeon’s refusal to give me a hysterectomy because I had not had kids yet (umm, I couldn’t!) – I found the one and only surgeon who would help me. 
If you didn’t read it on my FB page – here is the note I posted on my 39th birthday…

"10 years ago today, I sat in a OB/GYN'S office has I had heard the news I has desperately wanting to hear for 13 years, I was going to have the surgery to rid my body of the horrible disease that had plagued me.

A few months later - I was told, by some - my life had been saved by my quality of life would be hindered. I would live in pain, and internal problems.  I wanted to defy the odds - I wanted to prove them wrong…and I did.  

I swam with the Dolphins, I started my own business, I became a mom of two adopted kids and I have a quality of life...

10 years later, I marked my 49th birthday by running 4.9 miles.  Symbolic.  10 years ago, I was less than 100 lbs and knocking on death's door.  Now, I am a healthy weight and healthy mind.  Better shape than I have been in my entire life. 

This year, as you know - I will run my first ever race, in my own city - Las Vegas.

Weather will not keep me from that day
Crowds will not keep me from that day
And my body will not keep me from that moment....

My journey did not start when I ran my first mile a few months ago - my journey started when the SOME Dr's told me "you won't be able to.....(insert event)"

After raceday and I have all my pictures to look back on - I will take one of those pictures and send it to my former OB/GYN.  Whose tender loving hands and her heart, brought me back to life when everyone else had given up on me. 

I will simply write, "10 years ago, you saved my life - thank you" 

Today, isn't just my birthday - but the day I knew I had hope to live, again"

While all of the world will be celebrating Super Sunday (and my household, too) – I will remember today was the day my life really began.

Have I sent the picture to my OB/GYN?  No, I have not.  In fact, I am going to wait until the end of this year – when I have finished my 11 races and THEN, send her a picture.

How will I celebrate my 10 year anniversary?  I will Rest.  It was something I could not do for 13 years (prior to my surgery) and I will relish in the moment that I can Rest.

For all of those who suffer from health issues – take control of your life.  Do what you need to do to be healthy.

Live your Life.  It’s the only one you have.
____________________
Live and Run Strong,


Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Half-Marathoner, Business Blogger, Public Speaker & Hosts IMPACT Radio Channel
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.