Sunday, February 13, 2011

RACE REPORT: Mardi Gras Masquerade - 5K

Race Report:  Mardi Gras Masquerade 5K near Lake Mead, Nevada.  With the beautiful NV mountains as our back-drop the views were stunning

However, this race did not turn out how I had planned.

I had trained brutally hard the past few weeks.  My trainer pushing me to the limits on downhills, which I am now SO grateful!

Then, it happened – for the first time in almost 3 years, I got sick.  It started last night – but by the time I woke up this morning, I knew I had a COLD.

It wasn’t feeling so bad I couldn’t race, but you know how it is…you are not 100%

So..I came to the race not expecting much.  Just more race experiences and of course, the coveted Finisher Bling.

It was COLD. 
Very COLD.
And I was in shorts – yikes! 

Arrived in plenty of time for Bib Pickup – running around the parking lot and then pulling off my warm up pants, I thought I was going to die.  Thank God I had “sleeves” on.  Wind was howling (thus, the reason I wear a bandana – to cover my ears)

I thought, “well, I have a good shot to take First Place in my Age Division” as I looked around and realized that 90% of the race crowd was much younger than me  lol

This was also the first time, I had used my Garmin.  Yay!

At gun time – I could tell it was a fast group.  WOOSH – they took off.  Immediately there was a turn and up an “incline” and it kept going up and up.  I ran the first mile at a 7:23-7:45 pace.  I wasn’t feeling too bad.  Then some more inclines and I made the decision to slow it up, as I knew I could kill it on the downhills.  Glad I made that choice!

At the turn around I was running around a 9:30 (to conserve energy) I was desperately needing to put some water in my mouth – give a good swish and spit out (I don’t drink during races).
I missed the Aide hand outs.  Argh!  

Then Mile 2 came at me like someone has stuffed ice cubes down my throat and U. Could. Not. Breathe. 

Then…the downhills came.  I got into “downhill” mode and let gravity take it’s course.  My legs started moving and it was kinda surreal picking off all the people with minimal effort.

By the time I had gotten past the photographer (yes, I did my traditional smile with a thumbs up picture) and into Mile 3 – I looked at my Garmin and realized I could PR and I had a sudden burst of energy.

Luckily the Finish was a Downhill too!

Crossing the Finish Line I was met by my two kids (what a great way to finish, huh?) and another Finisher Medal.  2 Down – 9 more races for this year!


Then, the Awards and my name was announced as 3rd Place Women’s Overall and I did PR, too

THAT was a surprise!  Award and PR, while I am sick?


Here is my 3rd Place Award – a customized, Mardi Gras mask (thank you, Calico Racing!)


Two back-to-back 5K’s, both 3rd Place Finishes – and I am not complaining!

Aren't ya digging my purple/pink arm sleeves and bandana?  


I go into March – with back to back Half Marathons.  My first Half races since RnRLV

____________________
Live and Run Strong,


Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Half-Marathoner, Business Blogger, Public Speaker & Hosts IMPACT Radio Channel
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.