Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Injuries and Devouring a box of DOTS

Last week, I was injured.  Not because of running, but going down an escalator at the Vegas World Market Center. 

My body wanted to go down - but my right leg wanted to stay put.  So..the results a pulled my IT and Groin on the Monday.  I am so graceful at times, aren't I?

I received my Sports Massage on Friday of that week and then, ran for the first time on Saturday.

What I learned in that week:

  • I should of been using my Foam Roller to keep limber.  As my muscles were not only tight from the injury but also from the lack of working out.  Double Whammy. 


  • I should of at least Walked, if not Power Walked - again, to keep my legs limber

  • You know your muscles are tight when your Massage Therapist breaks a sweat. 

Many have asked if I gained any weight during my 5 day rest.  I typically don't weigh myself - but I did, just to see how my body would react to the same diet and no workouts.

Well, I am happy to report - I didn't gain a pound - even after devouring a box of DOTS candy during the week.



I was quite shocked to see I had not gained any weight.   So, I decided to do some research to find out why.  I was pretty sure I knew the answer...but I wanted to check anyways.

Yes, it meant my metabolism was pretty darn high.  This didn't happen overnight, either.   I remember the struggles I faced from July - October, running 4-5 times a week and not loosing a pound.  And then, one day in October - I lost 8 lbs.  My metabolism finally caught up.  Thank you. 

While I am never grateful for being injured, I am glad the opportunity showed me that working out/running consistently does contribute to our overall health, even if we don't feel like it is.

I am back on the pavement this week - and it's going to be a monster week.  I have two long runs planned (13+ each) plus, my regular workouts and runs.  Kill me, now. 


Next race:  February 12th - 5K (to work on my speedwork).  Then, I am onto two Half's in March. 

Until next time...

____________________
Live and Run Strong,


Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Half-Marathoner, Business Blogger, Public Speaker & Hosts IMPACT Radio Channel
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.