Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I am Already There -

"You have to believe in yourself when no one else does- that makes you a winner right there" 
-Venus Williams

After this weekend's 5K race and placing 3rd - I had crossed a line in my racing.  I could race, consistently.  After my first 5K race in January (and placing 3rd) - I couldn't help but wonder if it was a fluke, bad field of racers or whatever excuse was running through my mind (no pun intended). But, when it happened again, I learned it wasn't a fluke.  I could RACE. 


I know that less than a year ago - I had not even begun my running.  If I could even call it running.  I knew back then when I declared to the world I was training throughout the Summer to decide if I would register for the Vegas Half Marathon.  However, I knew - I would register, no matter what.
 .
I saw the looks of "are you CRAZY?"  in people's eyes - even though they would not say it


I saw the looks of concern as I iced my legs after every run then as I struggled with hamstring issues just weeks leading up to the race.  


But, no one once ever told me I couldn't do it.  Maybe they knew me too well - those closest to me all knew if I decide to do something, I will.  I won't promise the outcome, but I will "do it"



I am now facing my second Half Marathon in just a few weeks.  I would be lying to say I am not nervous.  I have trained hard, I have worked hard - and I know I have pushed and will continue to push myself to be the best I can be on that day.



You see - while Vegas Half was about finishing and enjoying the moment.  I now having something to prove.  I could run a half marathon RACE. 




I will be running a hilly, pavement and trail course.  I truly cannot ask for much of my time - except to be in racing form and race...not run...but RACE.  


Do I think I can do it?  I know I can.  This time, I don't wonder if I can run that distance or what will happen that day.  I have already been there in training.  I know what to expect of my body and my pace.  I am training for that race - and that race, trains me for the next one. 


In my mind, I already "won" - because I dared to finish a course that isn't PR friendly and what most local Las Vegas runners will not do.  


And oh yea, I will cross with a smile on my face!  
____________________
Live and Run Strong,


Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Half-Marathoner, Business Blogger, Public Speaker & Hosts IMPACT Radio Channel
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.