Saturday, January 1, 2011

My favorite weight loss/health tip

Here we are – New Year’s Day – I can imagine if it was not for the hangovers, parades, hangovers, clean-up, hangovers and college football games (did I mention hangovers) – the gyms would be flooded with those wanting to get into shape.

That was not me last year – I had reached a place last year, I was happy to exist. Well, that was short-lived, as I am now LIVING, and happy for it.

Unfortunately, many people have battled the obesity issue their entire lives.
I have had my battle with weight throughout my years – being my heaviest at 185 lbs. By many standards – that is no obese – but it is.

I know it’s a struggle. Is it harder to loose 65 lbs vs. 165 lbs? Those I have spoken to – have the same mental struggles, regardless of how much weight they need to loose. But, once they have adapted their mind and body to lead a healthy life – it is no longer a struggle.

After I ran my half marathon – the lightbulb went off on a lot of people. “If Charlene can get fit and healthy – than anyone can!” Well, I am still not sure if that is a compliment or an insult. LoL

Nevertheless – I know the secret to my health journey is how I perceive food and exercise.

Yes, folks – it’s ALL mental

Yes, people use food as a comfort (I am not one of them, never have been) – but I have a son who is that way.

I don’t use food as entertainment – it’s JUST food. Working in the food business for so many years, made me realize “it’s JUST food, folks – it’s not going to cure world peace!”

However, I also had to change my mind set about food so I could operate my body in the maximum capacity and keep healthy as I was training for the half marathon and everyday life.

After all, I am 49 years old with a 10 and 12 year boys. I need energy.

The tip I am going to share with you – will shape your way of thinking, in time….if you train your brain to think this way. It can and it WILL change your mind set on how you view food – how you view your food selections and over time, it will become second nature to you.

We have all heard of the Food Journal. Especially those who are on a long battle to lose weight, it is imperative you log and journal your food intake. Every scrap. You will be surprised how the little bit of snacking will add up in fat, calories and carbohydrates.



I recommend you take the food journal one step farther….

BEFORE you put that food in your mouth – and these questions (all of them for anything you put in your mouth) – and log into your food journal

1. What nutritional value does this food have to my body?
2. If I eat it – what will it provide to my body?
3. How much of this food do I NEED to eat to provide essential nutrients to my body?
4. I am eating it for the purpose of energy? Relaxation? Entertainment? Boredom? (If you are eating because of relaxation, entertainment or boredom – think twice before you eat). Remember, food is nutrition and energy to our bodies. 

They say knowledge is power. So, if you can answer these questions and STILL eat that double-bacon cheeseburger – then you are making that conscience decision, even after knowing the facts – to eat a heart attack burger.

Yes, we ALL know the heart attack burger is bad for us – so why do so many eat it? I believe we do not stop and THINK about what we are eating and if it has any value to us. Those 4 little questions that I posted – will stop to make you think before you eat.

Before you know it – your body will crave healthier food options. You will willingly turn away from options that will wreak havoc on your body. Ask anyone who has gone on a health journey – they tell you the same thing.



When you can change your mindset or paradigm to realize that everything that goes into your mouth is nutrition, energy and fuel for your body – then you change how you view food. You make conscience decisions on what you are buying and then eating – and HOW MUCH you are eating – you change your mind set.

It’s not about how little or how less you eat, really – it’s about recognizing how the food is working in your body and what benefit it will have for you so you can carry on with your day.

How do you know the nutritional value of any food? Thousands of reference books out there for you to check out from your local library or buy from Amazon.com

In the beginning of my households healthy journey – be stocked up on the Biggest Loser cookbooks and we still refer to them to make the best decisions for ourselves.

You learn to read labels. You learn to hang out in the produce section of the local grocery store.

So, when you decide to have that cookie –what is the nutritional value? – (if any) and you can make that choice to not eat the entire bag. Maybe you won't eat that cookie, but find a healthy sweet alternative?

It’s amazing how our life has transformed in our food choices based on educating ourselves and asking ourselves those questions:


1. What nutritional value does this food have to my body?
2. If I eat it – what will it provide to my body?
3. How much of this food do I NEED to eat to provide nutrients to my body?
4. I am eating it for the purpose of energy? Relaxation? Entertainment? Boredom? (if you are eating because of relaxation, entertainment or boredom – think twice before you eat) – Remember, food is nutrition and energy to our bodies.

I am not a nutritionist – and I won’t tell you about how much fat, carbs, etc to eat. What I am doing for you is sharing you a tip that I know will change the way you view food, in time.
It’s worked for me, my family and many of those who I have shared it with.

After all – don’t you want to be healthy?

Do we often take more care into deciding what shampoo or conditioner to put on our hair – than examining (to ourselves) the benefits of the foods we eat?

I love my hair – but I love my health more.

Happy New Year – let’s make 2011 the year we take control of our health!


____________________
Live and Run Strong,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Half-Marathoner, Business Blogger, Public Speaker & Hosts IMPACT Radio Channel
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.