Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Secret Behind the Smile

I have been feeling like I should have my portrait displayed at the Louvre in Paris, France.

Throughout the centuries - people have asked "why is Mona Lisa smiling - what is her secret?"



Today - I am being asked "why is Charlene smiling at Mile 12 - I thought she was struggling during the race?"


Here's the story behind that smile...

Once upon a time..there was woman named Karen.

Karen and Charlene are friends. That's a good thing

Charlene starts running. Karen thinks Charlene is crazy. Not so good thing.

Charlene keeps running and then announces she is going to RUN the Vegas Half Marathon. Karen REALLY thinks Charlene has lost her mind this time. Double not so good thing.

One day - Karen posts a snide (but jokingly comment) on her Facebook page


"I will CONSIDER taking up running with I see a runner smiling"

Charlene saw that as a challenge and posted this reply

"YOU GOT IT! I WILL cross that finish line with a SMILE on my face and then you WILL take up running!"

At least once a week - Charlene would remind her dear friend, Karen of that challenge.

So as Charlene kept up her training - she would tell everyone who would listen "I am finishing with a smile on my face!"

Little did she know how that would come back to haunt her on race day!

So, here comes race day.

As you know - Charlene developed severe stomach aches that riddled her with pain from Mile 5 until the finish.

During the race she had a fear that one of the course photographers would take a picture of her grimacing in misery. She would see the photographer ahead and go out of her way to avoid them.

Then, as she passed the Excalibur - someone shouted "photographer ahead!"

And for about 15 seconds - Charlene gained her composure and SMILED for the camera. She knew she finally had her picture



But WAIT - she promised she would FINISH with a smile on her face!

Oh dang! (well, those weren't the exact words - but you get the picture)

Then - she turns into Mandalay Bay and across that finish line, with a big smile on her face. Not for one picture but for 3 Finish Line pictures!






So to you, Karen - I fulfilled my promise. You challenged it - and I won, baby!  Don't be surprised if you get a pair of Running Shoes in your Christmas socking! I expect you to be running the Salt Lake City Half Marathon with me.
____________________
Live and Run Strong,


Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Half-Marathoner, Business Blogger, Public Speaker & Hosts IMPACT Radio Channel
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.