Monday, December 27, 2010

Inspiring Oneself

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! - At the Ragsdale home - we had an incredible weekend filled with laughter, games, great conversations 
and enjoying each others company.

It’s hard to believe it has not even been one month since the Rock n Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon.

As I sit here – my vision board sits right in front of me.  On that board – front and center is my Bib Number and my Finisher Medal.   


Every once in awhile I take that medal off my board and wear it.  I remember and savor that moment of when that medal was first on my neck and I didn’t take it off for days.  


Not gloating at all.  THOUSANDS of others have this same medal.  But, this is MY medal.  No one, but me, ran that half marathon, for me.  Not sure how I did it, but I did.

Since that time, I have had the chance to reflect and ponder what I could have done differently, what I would do the same.

The answer is obvious  – don’t take IMODIUM!

What I did not anticipate since that race day was the multitude of emails, Facebook messages or Twitter DM’s I have received telling me that I had inspired them…and they were embarking on their own healthy lifestyle choices, too.

I did not anticipate, my kids begging me to run the Kids 1 Mile race next year – and as they say, “so I can have a medal and be proud of what I did, just like you did, mommy!”

And then my husband – telling me that I inspired him to consider running/walking the next Half Marathon in 2011.  


At first, I wasn’t sure what to think – me?  Just ordinary & average me, inspiring anyone to a better way of life?  

Seemed very odd.  I am mean REALLY odd. 

Is the Half Marathon THAT big of an accomplishment that it would change people’s mindsets?

I then realized, the half marathon had changed my life

When I decided to register for the Half Marathon, I made conscience decisions of my lifestyle and diet.  All in the name of getting me across the finish line – healthy and with my brain intact.

I had serious things to consider.  I was 49 years old.  I had not been physically active in decades.  Since I have had some healthy issues in the past – how would my body withstand the pressures of a long race? 

I researched, I tested – I tried – anything that seemed to be common sense.  All in the name of finishing a race. That race – as many know, was the epitome of I had conquered my health demons, of my past.

When I declared I would run a Half Marathon – I knew many doubted.  Well, let’s face it – I doubted!

But, I knew at the very least I would walk it.  That was more than what I thought my body would do this past Spring. 

When I hear that I have inspired someone – I am truly humbled (and I cannot grab that concept, yet) – but when I walk around my desk and put that medal around my neck, again.  I realize I am inspiring myself to push myself harder.  To reach for goals that seemed impossible.  

Ultimately, that is who each of us should inspire - ourselves.

  • ·         One year ago – out of shape, slightly overweight and the word “marathon” wasn’t even on my mind. 
  • ·         On this New Year’s Eve as I watch the fireworks in my city, Las Vegas – I will realize that I ended my year – better than I ever could dream of – more than I ever imagined.

I couldn’t think of any better way to close my 2010.  And yes, I will be wearing my medal at midnight…thinking of greater things ahead in my healthy new life in 2011.

Happy New Year to everyone - I look forward to running/walking/prancing through this health journey with you!


____________________
Live and Run Strong,

Charlene L. Ragsdale - Las Vegas, NV
Half-Marathoner, Business Blogger, Public Speaker & Hosts IMPACT Radio Channel
~My Facebook Fan Page ~Follow Me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.